Monday, February 6, 2012

A Snowman Thomas the Tank Party

So here is part 2 of our parties in December series. And by series, I mean there are only 2 parts. Just wanted to sound a bit professional for a minute.

Now that that is over. My super fun little boy decided that he wanted a snowman thomas the train party. As in he wanted there to be snowmen/snow etc.. and also all things Thomas. I have always said I would never do a character party. But you know those things you say before you have kids....well...those things sometimes come back to haunt you when you realize how much your child loves said character.

But I still refused to go all out with the thomas theme....I just couldn't do it. But I did place a battery powered thomas on the snack table and I think that was enough for Kaplan. He still talks about it.

Kaplan's birthday is December 23rd. Last year I had his party the weekend before Christmas. This year I was all like "I really want to have a party on his actual birthday!". Well...that was not the best idea I have ever had. The week of Christmas was caaraazzy. We had family things, birthday things, christmas things...it was nuts. So I vowed to never again plan a party on that day. Please remind me of that next year! If anyone reading this has December birthdays...what do ya'll do? We may start celebrating half birthdays in June. Sounds like a great plan to me!

I wanted something to welcome guests as they arrived to the party. I made this little guy out of cardboard cake circles and some felt. And my sweet husband built the train. We also had train tracks on the floor made out of black duct tape. That was Kaplan's most favorite part!



And next up a few pictures of the table





I decided I wanted simple for cupcakes. So we just went with the red and blue icing (Thomas colors are red and blue...for those of you who may not have a 3 year old boy!) My good friend, Beth, has mad baking skills, so she is my go to girl for all baked goods! She came up with this precious little snow hill on top of the cupcakes and the skiing snowman....I loved it! Just one more picture...because it was so cute!


Because it was a winter type party, I wanted to do a hot chocolate bar and also have some muffins for the adults. We did a family party instead of just a kid party. We invited families that we are very close to and who Kaplan loves. It was tough narrowing it down...because we have so many wonderful friends, but we wanted to keep it small because momma sorta likes to go all out! And sometimes (especially at Christmas!) that is not good for the 'ol family budget!

Anyway...some pictures of the hot chocolate bar...



My husband makes THE BEST homemade hot chocolate....it was a real treat!

Party favors were all ideas taken from pinterest and then put together into one idea.


That is popcorn covered to look like a snowman...so clever! The tutorial is found here And there was homemade play dough in the clear container with a train cookie cutter tied to the top. The idea and recipe for the play dough is found here. I just love smart people who put all their ideas out on the interwebs!


Then everyone's party favor was tied up with some personalized snowflake ornaments. My sihlouette and I had some real bonding time during the holiday season. I found these wooden ornaments way early in the season at Hobby Lobby for half price.

We had a super fun party and Kaplan really loved it! Except he got a bit shy when everyone was singing Happy Birthday....


I guess he thought if he covered his eyes....no one could see him!



Jamie's parents with all their grandkids. Sweet.

We can't believe our big boy is already 3. The time sure does go by so fast! We sure are loving every minute of it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment