Sunday, December 5, 2010

a love of felt and christmas

I love Christmas. Really, who doesn't? Last year at Christmas, my mind began stirring and my obsession with felt started. I read an online tutorial on how to do a blanket stitch and I had visions of all the cute ornaments that could adorn my tree. The problem was, it was like mid-December at that point. So no Christmas ornaments were made.

But this year........I am a little addicted to making Christmas ornaments. I mostly sew them at night after the little man goes to bed and I am hanging with Jamie watching some educational documentary (or maybe syndicated episodes of "My Name is Earl").

And if I ever get started on making one during the day...well...the child rearing has to be passed off. Because mamma is busy making family heirlooms. So it's really better if I wait until the child is sleeping.

This year (so far) I have made six of these little birds.

This little blue and red one is my favorite. I am still having a hard time figuring out how to do a blanket stitch around the ribbon where it hangs.

And I am making some of these for gifts.


Sorry if you have to tilt your head. I don't have any sort of craft cutter machine, so those letters are cut out by hand. Dedication is what I call it. Or craziness. But I think these are cute. I am making these for all the little girls in our life.

And of course, for our little guy, a cow. Because he is totally in love with them. We can't quite figure out why. But he can spot a cow a n y w h e r e.....This one comes off the tree every morning. And that is why I love making things. I don't have to tell him to keep away from the tree. He knows which ornaments are his and he can actually play with them!

Last year, when I didn't get around to making ornaments, I thought that I would make them all through the year. That is a smart plan. But I didn't. And I'm sure I won't this coming year either. Because, for me, part of the Christmas season I enjoy is sitting with my husband at night and hand stitching these ornaments and then hanging them right on the tree. I am really an old soul!

2 comments:

  1. Super cute! Glad that you are blogging your creations so that I benefit from the fun happening way over there! Happy Sewing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog world welcomes you! I am excited about this and I love the ornaments.

    ReplyDelete