Monday, December 6, 2010

a project gone bad (but then redeemed)

I really love finding inspiration online. There are so many wonderful, crafty people out there! I saw this idea back in the spring. It was used as a teacher gift, which I thought was adorable. But, we don't have any teachers yet. Unless I made one for myself. Which I would. Because it's that cute.

Anyway, I had been searching and searching trying to find a unique project for my 5 year old niece. She is sassy! So I needed a sassy little something to fit her style. So I used the above general idea, but created a "beauty box" for her. She LOVES anything sparkly, nail polish, eye shadow, lip gloss......we are certain she gets it from her Mamma Sue, which is her great grandmother. Mamma Sue has a pair of bedazzled jeans. She is a rockin' great grandma!

BUT....in the making of the beauty box....I had an adhesive mishap



I adhered all of the paper, but a few of the edges were sticking up. So, I decided to mod podge the whole thing. That didn't turn out so well. The little tackle box I used has some raised parts on the top, so it caused this bubble/warp effect. Which equaled not cute. So, I pulled it off and started over. Sad part? That cute little blue and white polka dotted border was a pop out thing from a scrap book pack and there was only one. No fear....I tried to save it....

But...it didn't really work out well....

So I had to create a whole new border. Which was fine, but I really liked the first one. Oh well. The paper couldn't withstand the bonding power of glue spots + mod podge.

Here is the front of the finished project.

and here are my super sticky bonding agents (I in no way work for Mr. Elmer.... I just like his power of adhesion....and Kaplan loves the cow.)

Here are a few pictures of the inside. I still have to fill it with some things. I am thinking hair barrettes.



And after giving her all the little beauty supplies.....a scripture to remind her that the Lord delights in a gentle and quiet spirit. You know....because she's five and all.
My sister-in-law also wanted me to try to make her a mini wrap around bath towel. So that will go with this present. I bought a towel the other day and guess what?! It matches the beauty box. And I didn't even plan that part. The craft gods were smiling down on me that day at Target. (Not that I believe in craft gods....)
Anyway....when I get her whole present completed, maybe I'll show you. I'm still a little unsure about working with terry cloth. So we shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment